Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Alcove Spring, Kansas, a Historic Stop on the Oregon Trail

 I know you may be thinking that the only thing I write about is National Parks.  While I am a big proponent of our National Park system there are more things to see on the Great Plains than the National Parks.  I should mention that I am a big fan of the history of the plains, specifically the settlement of the area from 1850-1900.  I really love the history of the Oregon Trail and there are numerous historical spots along the trail that tourists can visit.  This particular is about a small spot, not easily accessible from the Highway, but worth the trip.  Alcove Spring, located off US Highway 36 in Eastern Kansas, was a popular camping spot on the Oregon Trail.  The Spring is still there, along with Historical Markers and wagon ruts.  There are a few easy trails that wind through a wooded area near the river and come open grassy ares as well.  It is a truly lovely spot that is rich in history, scenery, and solitude. 






No comments:

Post a Comment