Thursday, May 21, 2015

Plan Your Next Kansas Vacation Using This



It’s been awhile since I posted, I know, but you know how life can get, parents get sick, work gets busy, etc. Well, now that everything is leveling off I’d like to get back to telling you all about all the great places to visit on the Plains.  Despite the fact that I haven’t had time to post, I have had time to travel a little.

As much as I enjoy my work, I really love traveling. I’m sure we all do. I’m always looking for new places to travel, and I have a travel tip that will help you all plan your own travels as well.  

Recently I was in Kansas and I attended the Kansas Sampler Festival, held the first weekend in May every year. The Kansas Sampler Foundation puts on this festival, and it highlights the places to see and visit in Kansas. The festival this year was in Wamego, Kansas.  The festival is in the same location for 2 years. Next year the festival will be held in Winfield, Kansas, south and east of Wichita.

The festival has something for everyone, wine tasting, hand-made crafts, locally produced foods, and multiple CVBs and other travel-oriented organizations. There are shows and performances as well as food and merchandise vendors. This festival is a wonderful trip for the whole family. It’s a wonderful way to see the different activities around the state and plan your next weekend trip.

I usually spend the day at the festival traveling around to the tents housing the regional booths. I collect the giveaways and brochures to all the places that interest me. I particularly enjoy the historical locations.  Did you know that you could practically travel the Oregon Trail across Kansas by car? Multiple locations commemorate the historic trail.  There are many guidebooks you can buy to help you. You can walk the trail in many locations and sometimes you can practically feel the people who traveled the trail when nothing by wind, prairie grass, and history surround you.

My favorite thing to do at the Kansas Sampler Festival, before I walk to all the booths, is to taste the different alcoholic offerings from around the state. I always do this first so that I am sure to be sober by the time I leave the festival. There are samples of wine and beer made in Kansas at wineries and microbreweries.  There are many, many wineries around the state and it would be easy to plan a wine tasting tour of Kansas, I recommend the fall when the colors are changing all over the state, or you could travel around to the microbreweries all over the state. Usually these locations serve local cuisine as well as their alcoholic offerings. Usually there are quaint B&Bs or nice hotels near these locations as well. 

If you live too far to attend the festival and see the different things to do in Kansas, the Kansas Sampler Foundation also published a book several years ago called the 8 Wonders of Kansas. This is spiral book with vivid images of Kansas and the description and location of places that were nominated for the 8 Wonders of Kansas contest. There were multiple categories and they provide a well-rounded view of the different types of things to see in Kansas: commerce, art, history, scenery, etc. You can see the list online at www.kansassampler.org.

Until next time, I hope you will check out the website for the Kansas Sampler Foundation and use it to plan your next trip to the Sunflower State when that wanderlust inside you takes over.

No comments:

Post a Comment